Last updated: June 14, 2019
INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USAGE
Information We May Collect
Through your use of the Services, we, and our third party service providers, may collect the following information about you:
- “Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable person. This information includes your name, telephone number, postal address and email address as well as any other information you provide to us through your use of the Services.
- “Anonymous Information” is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual. This information includes your browser and device information, your IP address, information collected through tracking technologies, e.g., cookies, pixel tags and other technologies, and aggregated or de-identified data.
How We May Collect Information
We, and our third party service providers, may collect information about you in a variety of ways, including:
- Through your browser or device: Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using.
- Using pixel tags and other similar technologies: Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
- IP Address: Your IP address is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels, diagnosing server problems and administering the Services. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
- Physical Location: We may collect the physical location of your device by, for example, using satellite, cell phone tower or WiFi signals. We may use your device’s physical location to provide you with personalized location-based services and content. We may also share your device’s physical location, combined with information about what advertisements you viewed and other information we collect, with our marketing partners to enable them to provide you with more personalized content and to study the effectiveness of advertising campaigns. In some instances, you may be permitted to allow or deny such uses and/or sharing of your device’s location, but if you do, we and/or our marketing partners may not be able to provide you with the applicable personalized services and content.
- From you: Information such as your preferred means of communication is collected when you voluntarily provide it.
- By aggregating information: Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services (for example, we may aggregate Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
How We May Use Your Information
We may use your information in the following ways:
- To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to respond to your requests for additional information about our products or services.
- To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions and policies.
- To send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
- To facilitate navigation, to display information more effectively, to personalize your experience while using the Services and to recognize your computer in order to assist your use of the Services.
- To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
- For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
- To improve the functionality of the Services and ensure that the Services function properly.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
How Information May Be Disclosed
Your information may be disclosed:
- To our third party service providers who provide services to us, such as website hosting, data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, auditing and other services.
- To third parties, to permit them to send you marketing communications, consistent with your choices.
- To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
THIRD PARTY SERVICES
The Services may link to social media platforms that enable online sharing and collaboration among users who have registered to use such platforms. Any content you post on official Mizuho Americas managed social media pages, such as information, opinions, pictures, or any Personal Information that you make available to other participants on these social platforms, is subject to the privacy policies of those respective platforms. Please refer to them to better understand your rights and obligations with regard to such platforms and content.
We use organizational, technical and administrative measures that are designed to protect your Information. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure, but there are steps you can take to protect your Personal Information.
- Ensure you are on the right site: Check that you are on the real Mizuho Americas website before you sign in by checking the browser bar for a valid certificate.
- Monitor your account activity: Checking your account activity frequently can help to prevent or detect fraud earlier.
- Password management: Use passwords that are long in length and complex in nature. Complexity is achieved by using a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and special characters. A passphrase of longer length adds more complexity to a password. Do not reuse passwords across accounts or websites, or share your password with anyone. Mizuho Americas will never ask for your password.
If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of your account has been compromised), please immediately notify us in accordance with the “Contacting Us” section below.
CHOICES AND ACCESS
Your choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information
We give you many choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
- Receiving electronic communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out by following the instructions at the bottom of each email or contacting us.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with affiliates for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with our affiliates for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us.
- Our sharing of your Personal Information with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we not share your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with unaffiliated third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by contacting us.
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please note that if you opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, from which you cannot opt-out.
USE OF SERVICES BY MINORS
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of thirteen (13), and we request that they not provide Personal Information through the Services.
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have data protection rules that are different from those of your country.
Unless we reach out to you and specifically request certain information from you, which we may do on occasion, including, for example, in order to comply with applicable law or regulation, we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, credit card information, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, biometrics or genetic characteristics or criminal background).